A City Planner is generally available at the Community Development counter Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., but we recommend you schedule an appointment. To schedule an appointment, please contact the Department at 650-616-7074 or send us an email.
Crossing Hotel Site. The City is conducting environmental review of an amendment to The US Navy Site and Its Environs Specific Plan related to the proposed Crossing Hotel project. A Draft Suppplemental Environmental Impact Report (Draft SEIR) was released on May 18, 2015, and the 45-day public comment period ended on July 2, 2015. CLICK HERE For more information and to view the Draft SEIR.
Crestmoor Neighborhood. For information about rebuildign in the Crestmoor neighborhood, CLICK HERE.
View Current Development Projects, CLICK HERE
View the Draft Climate Action Plan, CLICK HERE
Frequently Requested Information
Document or Application
|New Business License Packet||Explains the process and requirements for starting a new business in San Bruno.|
|Residential Design Guidelines
||Explains the design requirements for all new houses and alterations to single-family and two-family homes.|
|Requirements for Additions/Alterations Single and Two-Family Homes||Explains the process and requirements for doing additions to houses in San Bruno. Includes information like setbacks, floor area ratio, and lot coverage.|
|Planning Review Application||Form to use for most planning applications including Architectural Review Permits and Use Permits.|
|Sign Review Application||All new signs require approval from the Planning Division.|
|Requirements for a Second Dwelling Unit||Information and application to add a second unit, commonly called an "in-law" unit.|
|View the Zoning Map (Beta Version)||PDF map of the City with the zoning designations.|
|Large Family Daycare Homes||Information about operating a daycare at your home for 9-14 children.|
Watch a video about accessory structures HERE
|Regulations for accessory buildings and information about when a building permit is required.|
Watch a video about fences HERE
|Fences do not require a building permit, but you must follow all the regulations.|
|Stormwater Quality- NPDES
Summary of Requirements
Changes to Requirements (2011)
Hydromodification Management Worksheet
Hydromodification Management Map
|These requirements apply to projects that create or replace 10,000 square feet or more of impervious surface. Talk to a member of the Planning staff for more information.|
|Flood Zone||The entire City is in Flood Zone D|
Functions of the Planning Division
- Review development plans, use permits and other planning entitlements for compliance with the San Bruno Municipal Code. Ensure that completed projects comply with all conditions of approval.
- Promote long-range comprehensive planning for the City, including the preparation, revision, and administration of the General Plan.
- Maintain, update, and administer the Zoning Ordinance Map and land use functions of the City.
- Administer the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
- Provide technical assistance and prepare professional reports to the following committees, commissions, and governmental bodies:
- Planning Commission
- Architectural Review Committee
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee
- City Council
- Liaison to other governmental agencies and groups
David Woltering, Community Development Director, firstname.lastname@example.org,
Mark Sullivan, Long-Range Planning Manager, email@example.com
Matt Neuebaumer, Associate Planner, firstname.lastname@example.org
Paula Bradley, Contract Associate Planner, email@example.com