How do I report a vehicle accident?

The driver of a vehicle involved in a traffic accident should immediately stop as close to the accident scene as possible without causing a traffic hazard. If there are injuries, the police department should be notified immediately by calling 911. If there are no injuries, the involved parties should exchange information including names, addresses, phone numbers, drivers license numbers, vehicle license numbers and insurance policy numbers.

The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in any injury, death, or property damage in excess of $750 must report the accident to the Department of Motor Vehicles within ten days by completing a DMV SR-1 form. This form is available from the Department of Motor Vehicles and most insurance companies, or by clicking below.

Access the Report of Traffic Accident Occurring in California.

Show All Answers

1. When is it appropriate to call 911?
2. Where do I explore employment opportunities?
3. How can I get an equipment violation ticket signed off?
4. Does the Police Department provide fingerprinting services?
5. Where can I obtain parking ticket information?
6. Where can I obtain traffic citation information?
7. Where is the prescription medication drop-off?
8. How can I obtain a copy of a police report?
9. How do I report a vehicle accident?